The weather is getting warmer and you are likely getting the itch to start working on some home projects that you have put on hold over the winter. Whatever home project you have decided to tackle, sometimes the thought of the mess left behind is too much, so you just avoid the project all together. By renting a dumpster you will save yourself a lot of time and effort and it may be just the solution you need to keep you from putting off a project. What size dumpster do you need for your home project?
Things to Consider when Deciding What Size Dumpster you Need for your Home Project
Selecting a dumpster that is the right size for your project is crucial to keep your project on track and within budget. There are numerous dumpster sizes and it can be overwhelming. You may not want to select a dumpster that is too large and cost more, but you also will not want to get your project underway and fill the dumpster without finishing, or even worse, overfill the dumpster and be charged additional fees. Selecting a container that is slightly larger than you think you may need, is recommended.
Type and Amount of Debris
Have a plan for the items you are going to discard. Know what you are going to get rid of and how big and bulky they are. Things such as whole countertops and cabinets will take up more space than items that are broken down and in smaller pieces. This could fill your dumpster rental quickly.
Having a plan ahead of time for the items you are going to dispose of, will help you to measure and understand how much room you will need in the dumpster.
Having a dumpster delivered right to your home is convenient and a great solution for any project that will have an excessive amount of debris; however, it may be difficult to find the right place to have your dumpster delivered. Before scheduling a dumpster rental, know where you are going to have the dumpster placed and measure to ensure you have enough space to not only allow for the dumpster, but for room for you to haul things around it.
Some residential areas may have rules and guidelines for dumpsters, so do your research in advance to avoid violations and fines.
Understand What the Sizes Mean
Dumpster sizes are measured in cubic yards, which is a measurement of their volume. There are 27 feet in one cubic yard (3′ x 3′ x 3′). For example, a 10-yard dumpster can hold 10 cubic yards of material. That’s equivalent to 270 (10 x 27) cubic feet.
Know how much waste you intend to get rid of, so you can select the right sized dumpster for your project.
Dumpster Sizes and Common Projects They are Used for
- 7 Yards: A 7-yard dumpster is recommended for disposal of aggregate; such as dirt, concrete, or asphalt. This is roughly equivalent to 2-3 pickup truck loads of debris.
- 10 Yards: A 10-yard dumpster is perfect for around the house clean-up jobs including a 1-car garage or small basement clean out, yard debris clean-up, and spring cleaning. This is generally equivalent to 3 pickup truck loads.
- 13 Yards: A 13-yard dumpster is great for small to medium clean-ups/remodeling projects. A 13-yard dumpster may be the right dumpster size for a small basement, attic, or garage cleanup, flooring and carpet removal for a medium-sized house, or 130 to 250 square feet of deck removal. This is an average equivalent to 5-7 pickup truck loads of debris.
- 20 Yards: A 20-yard dumpster is recommended for large home carpet/floor removal, small-medium renovation/demolition projects, junk removal in a large basement or garage, and new construction jobs with limited space. A 20-yard dumpster is equivalent to 10-12 pickup truck loads.
- 30 Yards:A 30-yard dumpster is a good size for foreclosures, evictions, and estate clean-outs. It is most often used for medium size renovation or demolition projects, medium or whole house clean-outs, new construction or commercial work. This is roughly equivalent to 14-16 pickup truck loads of debris.
- 40 Yards: A 40-yard dumpster is also an ideal size for foreclosures, evictions, estate clean-outs. It is most often used for large renovation or demolition projects, large or whole house clean-outs, new construction or commercial work. A 40-yard dumpster has about the same amount of space as 18-20 pickup truck loads.
When determining what size dumpster you need for your home project, you should talk to the dumpster rental company, prior to renting a dumpster.
With 40 years of experience, BigDumpster.com® is the only dumpster rental company you will ever need. We provide dumpster rental and disposal services nationwide. With our top-of-the-line, industry standard dumpsters, you can throw away all your unwanted debris and then watch us haul it away for you.
Contact us today for all your dumpster rental needs.