Buying a new house is both exciting and overwhelming. While the thought of moving into your new home is likely thrilling, the idea of packing and cleaning up your old one may be rather worrisome. Selecting what and what not to take with you on your move should not get in your way of having a smooth transition. We are going to review some tips for how to determine what to get rid of when moving into a new home.
Why should you get rid of things before moving?
Moving can be costly and take a lot of time, based on the number of items you have to move. Moving is easier and less expensive when there is less to pack and relocate. Not only does eliminating unused and unwanted belongings make it easier to pack and cheaper to move, but it also prevents you from starting off on the wrong foot in your new home. A new home provides a clean slate and should be one that doesn’t involve a mountain of unwanted stuff.
How can you determine what to get rid of when moving into a new home?
Before moving, it’s a good idea to sort through your items to ensure you don’t end up moving stuff that you don’t need and will not use. While this is a big task and may seem overwhelming, there are some questions you can ask yourself to help you decide what should stay and what should go:
- When was the last time I used this item?
- If the item hasn’t been useful for you within the past year, you can likely do without it.
- Does the item have sentimental value?
- If you answered “yes” to this, this keepsake may be something you don’t want to get rid of. If you answered “no”, and it’s an item you don’t use, don’t take it.
- Do I have enough space for this in my new home?
- If you aren’t going to use the item or have room for it in your new home, you shouldn’t take it.
- Where will this go in my new home?
- If you don’t have a place for the item in your new home, or you are going to hide it away in an attic or basement, it is probably a good idea to discard it.
- Do I have more than one of these?
- If you have more than one of an item and don’t need the multiples, get rid of the extras.
- Do I love the item and will I use it?
- This is a good question to ask particularly when it comes to clothing. We tend to keep things that are no longer our taste or that we don’t feel good wearing.
- Does this item work or need to be repaired?
- If the item is broken or doesn’t work, not taking it to your new home is a good idea, especially if it’s something you can easily replace after you are moved.
- Is it difficult and/or expensive to move?
- If you are on the fence about moving something and it is a hard item to move or will cost you a lot of money, you should determine if its value overcomes the challenge and/or the cost of moving it.
How can I easily get rid of unwanted and unneeded items?
You should declutter and determine what to get rid of when moving into a new home. Depending on what you are getting rid of and the level of effort you want to take when discarding of the items, there are options: have a garage sale, sell the items online, donate your old belongings, recycle items, and/or rent a dumpster to rid yourself of the things.
If you don’t have time to have a garage sale and sell online or donate your items, renting a dumpster is a good option for you. Renting a dumpster is the most efficient way to get rid of stuff before moving into a new home.
Contact Big Dumpster ® today to help ease some of the stress of your moving process. We provide dumpster rental and disposal services nationwide. With our top-of-the-line, industry standard dumpsters, you can throw away all your unwanted stuff and then watch us haul it away for you.